According to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, half of the world's forests have already been destroyed or converted into other land uses. The remaining forests are often poorly managed and suffer from illegal exploitation. In order to address these issues, the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) was founded in 1993. The FSC works to ensure that forests are managed in an environmentally responsible, socially beneficial, and economically viable way. One of the main ways the FSC does this is through its certification system, which allows consumers to identify products made from responsibly managed forests. By choosing products with the FSC label, consumers can support responsible forestry practices and help protect the world's forests.
I. What is the FSC certification?
The FSC certification is a global standard that is awarded to forests and products that meet the highest standards of environmental, social, and economic sustainability. In order to obtain the FSC certification, forests and their products must meet a set of 10 principles, namely:
- Compliance with laws
- Workers’ rights and employment conditions
- Indigenous peoples’ rights
- Community relations
- Benefits from the forest
- Environmental values and impact
- Management planning
- Monitoring and assessment
- High conservation values
- Implementation of management activities
The FSC certification is recognized as the most rigorous and respected standard for responsible forestry practices. It is recognized by governments, businesses, and environmental organizations around the world as the gold standard for sustainability.
II. The benefits of FSC-certified products
There are many benefits to using FSC-certified products, both for the environment and for consumers. Some of the key benefits include:
- Protecting forests: FSC-certified products ensure that forests are managed in a responsible and sustainable manner, helping to protect them from illegal logging, deforestation, and poor management practices.
- Supporting communities: FSC-certified products help to provide economic benefits to local communities, including employment opportunities, income, and support for social and economic development.
- Promoting biodiversity: FSC-certified forests are managed in a way that preserves the diverse array of plants and animals that live in them, helping to protect biodiversity and support ecosystem health.
- Reducing environmental impact: FSC-certified products have a lower environmental impact compared to non-certified products, as they are produced using environmentally responsible processes and materials.
III. How to recognize FSC-certified products
As a consumer, it can be challenging to know which products are FSC-certified. To make it easier to identify FSC-certified products, the FSC has developed a labeling system that includes three different labels:
- FSC 100%: This label indicates that the product is made entirely from FSC-certified materials.
- FSC Recycled: This label indicates that the product is made from recycled materials that have been certified by the FSC.
- FSC Mix: This label indicates that the product contains a mix of FSC-certified and non-certified materials.
By looking for these labels, you can easily identify FSC-certified products and support responsible forestry practices.
IV. How we use FSC-certified materials at FLÕWY
The FSC certification is a crucial tool for promoting responsible and sustainable forestry practices around the world. By choosing FSC-certified products, consumers can help to protect forests, support local communities, and reduce the environmental impact of their purchases.
At FLÕWY, we believe in reducing our environmental impact and ecological footprint. For this reason, we only use FSC-certified and recycled materials for our packaging. All our packaging is eco-friendly, plastic-free, 100% recyclable and reusable.
You can learn more about our packaging here.